It’s that time of year where the weather changes, and I yearn for a bronze glow. I don’t use tanning beds because of the harsh effects it has on the skin, so my other options are self-tanner and spray tans. We’re going to talk about spray tans. Have you had a spray tan before? I’ve had one by several different people before over the course of several years. I’ve never had a terrible spray tan experience before, but I’ve never been truly amazed by them either. Then I got the opportunity to try Brazil Bronze by Bronzed By Bloom. The service was complimentary for a review, but that will never alter my opinion.
What is Brazil Bronze?
Brazil Bronze is a water-based spray tan formula with DHA, hyaluronic acid, resveratrol, and vitamin C & D. It makes the skin soft and smooth upon application unlike oil-based or alcohol-based formulas. Oil-based formulas can clog pores and alcohol-based formulas can dry out the skin. Brazil Bronze uses superior artisanal and matrix colour processing to match the tan to any person’s skin tone.
I asked Emily why this formula specifically wouldn’t make me orange. The formula doesn’t include beta-carotene, which can make you look orange. If you think about it, beta-carotene is what is in carrots and sweet potatoes that gives it their color, so it makes sense that formulas with that base would make your skin orange.
My Spray Tan Experience
Emily, the owner of Bronzed by Bloom, greeted me when I arrived. It’s situated on the top floor of a cute hair salon in trendy Queen West here in Toronto. I filled out a release form, and she answered my questions and concerns confidently. I was then lead to a room to undress and prep for my spray tan.
Emily prepared the spray tan formula and took it upon herself to mix more undertone into the solution to give me a better skin tone match. She was knowledgeable about all different skin tones and was comfortable explaining her process to me. I’m grateful for this because I have a yellow-olive undertone, and some tanning products can make me look orange. The color she used for me was perfect, and I am a great shade of bronze right now.
I opted to go topless because I didn’t have a tiny bikini top, but I did wear underwear. She sprayed my back and then my front, moving my arms and legs around to get an even application. The spray was very gentle and even. I could feel my skin responding well to the formula. It immediately felt softer and more hydrated. Afterwards, I dried myself with an air hose before putting on loose sweatpants and a sweater. I was advised to not wear a bra for a few hours so the tan wasn’t disturbed, so I took an Uber home for comfort.
How should I prepare for a spray tan?
Getting a spray tan isn’t necessarily high-maintenance but it does require a bit of prep before and after.
- Exfoliate the night before to ensure an even application. It should be water-based–not oil-based. This will scrub away dead skin and make your tan last longer.
- Keep your skin clean of moisturizer, deodorant, perfume, and other products before your appointment. You want your skin to be as clean and fresh as possible without additional product buildup and oils
- Shave the night before your spray tan. I usually shave right after I exfoliate to ensure a super-close shave. Don’t shave after your spray tan as this will affect the length of your tan.
- If you prefer to wax, do it the day before and ensure all wax is removed before your appointment
- Wear whatever you feel comfortable in during your appointment. Go full nude, wear a thong, or wear a triangle bikini if you want tan lines.
- Never be afraid to ask your technician questions. They are knowledgeable and passionate about their business. They will help you get the best results possible.
What about after the spray tan?
- Don’t shower, get wet, or exercise for 8 hours after your appointment
- Hair and nail appointments should wait for 24 hours after your spray tan
- Keep your skin moisturized to increase the length of your tan and to prevent the tan from cracking
- Use gentle soaps to cleanse and avoid loofahs, puffs, and washcloths.
I would definitely recommend Brazil Bronze and Bronzed by Bloom to those in the Toronto area looking for a great spray tan. My results are natural looking, and my skin feels amazing. Emily is a perfectionist with the application and very attentive to detail. You can tell she is passionate about what she does and takes pride in her work.